Deep Dark Chocolate Cookies
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (about 9 ounces)
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar, divided (plus 1/2 cup for cookie coating)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 2 large baking sheets with nonstick spray. Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in glass bowl in microwave, stirring twice, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Using electric mixer, beat whites in large bowl to soft peaks. Gradually beat in 1 (I halved the sugar here) cup sugar. Continue beating until mixture resembles soft marshmallow cream.
- Whisk 1 cup sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in medium bowl to blend. On low speed, add dry ingredients into meringue mixture.
- Mix lukewarm chocolate mixture and 1/2 cup chocolate chips (dough will become very stiff).
- Place 1/2 cup sugar in bowl. Roll 1 rounded tablespoon dough into ball; roll in sugar, coating thickly. Place on prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake until puffed and tops crack, about 10 minutes. Cool on sheets on rack 10 minutes.
- Transfer to rack, cool.
Page 2 of 132